vegetables | Mediterranean skewers
Serves 2 with rice/salad
These are simple, easy to make and incredibly healthy.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free version...
- 4 rosemary twigs or skewers
- A handful of button mushrooms
- A handful of new potatoes
- ½ red pepper (cut all the peppers into decent sized chunks, for example approximately 2cm wide).
- ½ yellow pepper
- ½ green pepper (or simply use the equivalent of 1 ½ peppers if you don't have 3 different types handy)
- ½ courgette, cut into approximately 1cm-ish sized slices
- 1 medium sized tomato (not quite as big as a beef tomato, but still a good size) cut into sixths or eighths. Or a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 dessert spoon of oil
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ lime
- 1 tsp syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Immerse the rosemary skewers in water and put to one side.
- Heat the oven to 170ºC
- In a dish, coat the vegetables with oil.
- Put a layer of foil over a baking tray.
- Strip most of the rosemary leaves off the skewer, but leave a tuft at the top of each one.
- Scatter the stripped rosemary leaves on the foil.
- Alternate the vegetables as you thread them onto the skewers
and drizzle with the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and scrunch the top and bottom pieces together to form a reasonably airtight parcel.
- Allow the skewers to cook and steam on the scattered rosemary leaves for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Then take the top layer of foil off for 10-15 minutes.
Maybe serve with...
These are lovely simply served on a bed of rice. Wild rice is particularly lovely. You can always add nuts and seeds to the rice: such as linseed, pumpkin seeds, and/or toasted sesame seeds.
For those able to eat wheat...
You could always serve on a bed of cous cous - see mango stuffed boats.
If you have peppers and tomatoes left over, see simple ratatouille, pepper paprikash, ultra quick fajitas. If you have peppers or courgette left over, see creamy dip and creamy pashley pasta. If you have tomatoes leftover, see quick fling pasta, sublime tomato soup or salsa.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes