vegetables | mango stuffed pepper boats
Serves 4 main meals when served with salad/vegetables/potato/rice/meat etc.
This is an absolutely beautiful dish and one of my favourites. It's incredibly healthy and tastes great. You don't necessarily need to serve it in the peppers, I often just make a big bowlful of the main mixture.
Wheat free, dairy free, meat free version...
- 3 tbsp rice
- 1 grated carrot
- ½ chopped mango
- 2 small spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 inch stem ginger cut finely
(I use the stem ginger in syrup)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ chilli, finely chopped.
- 4 red peppers, halved
- 2 tbsp unshelled Pistachio nuts
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tsp syrup from the stem ginger
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 170ºC and put the peppers in for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and chilli in saucepan for a few minutes, stir in the rice, cook according to the instructions on the packet
- Then, in a bowl, mix the pistachio nuts, carrot, spring onion, mango and chopped ginger
- In a jar, mix the balsamic vinegar, oil, lime juice and syrup and give it a good shake.
- Pour over the carrot and mango mixture, mix well, cover and leave to infuse.
- When the rice is cooked, drain and stir into mixture.
- Serve heaped into the pepper boats.
Maybe serve with...
These are lovely just served with a crisp salad.
For those able to eat wheat...
Substitute the rice for 200ml cous cous. Simply sauté the chilli in oil, add the cous cous, cover with equal amount of boiling water (200ml) and leave to stand whilst you do everything else. Then fluff it up with spoon or fork and add to mixture.
For leftover mango,
serve it with the divine chocolate pots.
Or, thread some onto the Mediterranean skewers.
For leftover spring onions, see the creamy dip or sublime tomato soup.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes