vegetables | cheat's lasagne
Serves 4 with side salad/mixed vegetables and/or bread
We had a devil of a job trying to make a really good alternative lasagne. We tried all sorts: silken tofu, coconut mixtures, blended spinach, faux cheese, yeast flake sauces...! I think this one must be version 40 something! And it's absolutely gorgeous. This is now the one I make all the time. The Secret Sauce makes it taste creamy and compensates for the lack of cheese. I often cheat and use the cans of ratatouille and it's still gorgeous.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
- 2 x 7 oz (200g) bags spinach
- 2 quantities of the simple ratatouille
- or 2 cans of ratatouille mixed with 10 tsp of sun dried tomato paste (5 tsp per can).
- One quantity of Scarlett's secret sauce
- Wheat free lasagne pasta
- 1 sliced tomato and tsp oregano to garnish
- Heat the oven to 170°C.
- Make the ratatouille or mix the cans of ratatouille with the sun dried tomato paste. Wilt the spinach in a colander. (simply rinse it, then pour boiling water over it until it wilts. Wait until it has cooled, then squeeze the excess water out with the back of a spoon or your hands. If you're using your hands, make sure it's cool enough. Hot water gets trapped in between the leaves and can give you a bit of a shock!)
- Layer the tomato mixture with the pasta then the secret sauce, then spinach. The lasagna pasta needs to be sandwiched between 2 layers of sauce to ensure it cooks properly.
- Repeat until ingredients used up – I usually do two layers.
- The last layer should be a layer of secret sauce, which you can garnish with the sliced tomato and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Maybe serve with...
Great with salads, wheat or wheat free baguettes, or lovely green vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, peas, courgettes etc. If you wanted to stretch it out further, you could cook potato wedges and serve with a hearty helping of vegetables.
It works nicely with the minted courgette cubes and/or the lemon dressed salad.
For those able to eat wheat...
Simply add wheat lasagne pasta, either plain or verdi instead of the wheat free pasta and make exactly as above
and/or serve with a garlic bread.
If you have leftover secret sauce, add to mushroom provençal or pepper paprikash. If you have leftover lasagne pasta, see the cannelloni.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes