vegetables | alternative mini mouthwatering courgette cannelloni
Serves 2-4 (depends if using as starter or canapés)
These are absolutely fantastic as a starter, side dish or to use as canapés. Simply dress them to suit you - even better, they can be prepared in advance.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
1 courgette shaved into thin strips with a potato peeler
- Tsp or more of oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp silken tofu
- 1 tbsp dairy free mayonnaise
- ½ lime
- 1 slice wheat free bread, toasted and cut into croutons (or cut into croutons and pan fried in a little oil)
- Salad leaves dressed such as lemon dressed salad or rocket/spinach with basic dressing
- Handful of mushrooms sautéed in little oil and dairy-free spread, with salt and pepper (doesn't matter if it's just juicy flat mushrooms or a mixture of oyster, shitake or morel)
- Spring onion, chopped very finely
- Tbsp balsamic vinegar reduced until sticky consistency
- Coat the courgette ribbons in the oil, rubbing it in with your fingers until the ribbons are completely coated.
- Heat a pan and add the courgette ribbons and season with salt and pepper, stirring gently but thoroughly.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring, until ribbons have softened and are cooked.
- Leave to cool then refrigerate.
- In a bowl, mix the silken tofu, mayonnaise and lime juice.
- Put a little of the silken tofu mixture (½ tsp-tsp depending on the size of your courgette) onto a courgette ribbon and roll it up, leaving the end underneath so that it's doesn't unfold. Repeat.
Cover and refrigerate until needed - use the same or next day.
- If you wish to add the extras, serve with dressed salad mixed with croutons and sprinkled with spring onions and mushrooms. Drizzle the reduced balsamic around the ribbons.
Maybe serve with...
These are lovely just as they are, but for an extra special touch you can always add asparagus spear halves (cover asparagus spears in boiling water, stand for a minute, then drain). If you're feeling particularly artistic, cut the spears in half lengthways and arrange with a dash of flair!
For those able to eat wheat...
Use wheat bread croutons
If you have courgettes leftover, see canoe of courgette
. If you have silken tofu leftover, see creamy dip
or no bake cheesecake
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes