vegetables | inside out cannelloni
Serves 2-4 with salad or vegetables
This is a lovely dish. It takes slightly longer to cook than the cheats's lasagne, so you can always use the quick version of the filling from that recipe if you were pushed for time. You sit the cannelloni on a bed of the filling mixture to balance out the silken tofu and spinach mixture - which you need in that quantity to ensure the pasta is covered so that it cooks. If you can't get hold of wheat free pasta tubes, you could always try pre-cooking wheat free pasta sheets or layering as you would a lasagne. Failing that, make the filling (layer with spinach if wish), forget the silken tofu, top with sliced cooked potatoes and turn it into a bake!
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
- 7 oz (200g) bag of spinach
- 4 oz (half of a 225g tub) of silken tofu
- Salt and pepper
- 4 flat mushrooms, chopped into reasonably small cubes
- 1 onion chopped finely (red onion works nicely)
- 4 medium tomatoes: 3 chopped into small pieces and 1 sliced thinly for the top. You can de-skin and de-seed the 3 for the mixture if you wish, and if you have time
- 2-3 tbsp red or white wine
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 tsp sun dried tomato paste
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano
- Tip of tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 10 quite large pasta tubes or Chinese pancake wraps
- 4 finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a pan, sauté the onions in the oil until softened, then add the garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and 2tbsp wine and stir well.
- The mushrooms should absorb the wine - let them cook until the juices are absorbed and the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and oregano.
- Let this simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cayenne and if you feel necessary, add another tbsp wine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Take the tubes and fill, but put onto a separate plate.
- Then tip the remaining mixture into the bottom of an oven proof dish and smooth out.
- Lay the filled pasta tubes on top.
- For the topping, simply rinse the spinach in a colander, wilt by pouring boiling water over. Squeeze excess water out and put into blender.
- Add the tofu and blitz!
- Then add the nutmeg and salt and pepper and stir through.
- Pour over the tubes.
- Top with slices of tomato and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until pasta is cooked
Maybe serve with...
This is lovely served on its own because it's packed full of ingredients.
For those able to eat wheat ...
This would be lovely served with a garlic baguette or any crusty wheat bread.
If you have mushrooms leftover, see the mushroom pate. If you have Chinese wraps leftover, see the fajita feast. If you have tomatoes, sun dried tomato paste, onion and mushrooms leftover, see the mushroom provençal.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes
Other interesting vegan cookery books that we know and love