roast butternut squash and carrot pate with toasted pumpkin seeds and rosemary
This is a fantastic pate which is lovely with toasted breads or on baked potatoes. It can be served warm or cold.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
- ½ a butternut squash (equivalent to about 3-4 inches worth of the narrow end which has no seeds), chopped into chunks
- 3 large carrots or 6 smaller ones, cut into chunks
- Bulb of garlic split into cloves with outer papery skin taken off
- Twig of rosemary (approx 6 inch worth is fine)
- Salt and pepper
- Tbsp oil
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Heat the oven to 170°C
- Put the oil on a baking tray, coat the squash and garlic cloves, sprinkle with a little salt and wiggle the rosemary somewhere between the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until squash is soft and cooked.
- Meanwhile, boil the carrots in a pan with a good squeeze of lemon juice - this will take 5-10 minutes depending on the size of chunk.
- Drain the carrots.
- When the squash is ready, add to the carrots.
- Take the garlic cloves, pop them out of their skins and add any fleshy bits (not any which are dry or wrinkly or chewy looking!)
- Strip the rosemary of the leaves and add that.
- Then you can either mash or blend the mixture - it will be a bit stiff, but it does eventually blend if you keep stopping and stirring the mixture (waiting for blades to stop, of course).
- Then add the pumpkin seeds to the tray and stir them in any leftover oil and rosemary bits. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until toasted, then add to the mixture.
- Season with salt, pepper and add more lemon juice.
Maybe serve with...
This is gorgeous with toasted mini wholemeal pittas.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe, please consider making a donation to Dorset Wildlife Rescue