péché mignon | baked apples
These are our quick and easy versions of baked apples, and they are especially fantastic on a winter's evening. Simply remove the pecans and substitute for sultanas if you aren't able to eat them.
Wheat free, dairy free, meat free version...
- 2 cooking apples
- Tbsp jumbo raisins (or mixed sultanas and raisins)
- Tbsp pecans
- 3 tsp sugar
- Tbsp golden syrup
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- Tip tsp cinnamon, tsp mixed peel, tsp brandy, few cloves, pinch nutmeg.
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the core from each apple and score the skin in a complete circle around the middle of the apples.
- Put the apples in an oven proof dish - preferably one that holds them in place.
- Mix the raisins, pecans, sugar, syrup and lemon juice in a bowl and fill the apples.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp water over the apples, cover with a lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the lid/foil off and bake for another 10-15 minutes - making sure the apples are cooked. If you pierce them with a knife they should be soft right to the core.
- Remove from dish when ready and drizzle with any juices.
Maybe serve with...
These are gorgeous served on their own or with soya custard or ice-cream.
If you have apples leftover, try the apple and sherry towers, granité and apple crumble. If you have leftover raisins, you could always add them to the banana and walnut Welsh cakes, rice pudding or quick fling trifle (soaked in rum!). If you have golden syrup, see Maggie B's lethal choc cake.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes