miscellaneous | wild rice salad
This is a beautiful salad which is based on one served in a fantastic little bistro in Sonoma, California. It's ideal for a lunch, picnic or served as a side dish.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
- 2 tbsp wild rice
- 2 tbsp pearl barley
- 1 x stick of celery finely chopped
- Third of a cucumber, skin taken off, seeds removed and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes or a handful of cherry tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 x carrot finely diced
- 1 x small red onion finely diced
- 1 x diced red pepper
- Bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- Tip tsp English mustard
- Juice of half/whole lime (depends how piquant you like your dressings)
- ½ or whole red chilli (depending on taste) very finely chopped
- Cook the rice and barley according to packet instructions, rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a bowl, put the celery, cucumber, tomatoes, carrot, onion, red pepper and coriander.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a lidded jar and shake.
- Add the rice and barley to the celery etc, mix well and drizzle as much dressing into the mixture as you like.
- Mix well and serve.
Maybe serve with...
This was lovely served with a foccacia filled with houmous and roast vegetables but it would work well with anything. Roast vegetables often means pepper, courgette and aubergine but a combination of roast cauli, carrot, broccoli, parsnip, peppers and celery works really well.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe, please consider making a donation to Dorset Wildlife Rescue