miscellaneous | zingy mashed potatoes or duchesse potatoes
The one thing I really missed when I became dairy intolerant was mashed potato. Dairy-free margarine just doesn't do it for me as a substitute, I'm afraid, so rather than feel disappointed, I make this one taste completely different.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
- 3-4 baking sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Tbsp soya yoghurt or desert spoon of rice milk (use more if potatoes seem too dry)
- 1-2 tbsp chives or chopped spring onions.
- Salt. Very important. You do need quite a bit to get some flavour, again, it depends on the potato.
- You can add wholegrain mustard, finely chopped or sautéed onion, leeks, sun dried tomatoes, or different herbs and flavourings.
- In a saucepan, boil the potatoes until cooked.
- Drain well, mash or use a hand-held blender, and add the soya yoghurt or rice milk a little at a time until the it becomes creamy.
- Stir in the chives and season to taste.
- If you want to make duchesse potatoes, put into a piping bag, pipe into little swirly cones and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Maybe serve with...
This is gorgeous with pepper paprikash, mushroom provençal or bean chilli.
If you have potatoes leftover, try the bean chilli, the potato wedges or cottage pie
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes
Virtual Vie Web Design