Great Ideas for Treats!
miscellaneous | dauphinoise potatoes
It is quite hard to re-work creamy dishes when you can't use dairy. This one is actually pretty tasty and can be served with lots of dishes if you wanted to use something different to mashed or jacket or boiled or roasted potatoes.
Wheat free, dairy free, nut free, meat free version...
- 1 extra large baking potato, sliced thinly - not pre-washed. The pre-washed potatoes tend to be quite watery. Use the ones covered in good old-fashioned dirt, wash and leave to dry thoroughly before using.
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 4 fl oz (112ml) rice milk
- 4 fl oz (112ml) oat cream
- 1 bay leaf
- Tip tsp nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic, sliced very finely
- Tsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkling thyme
- Few dashes vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Grease the bottom of a baking dish with a little oil, just to coat it. Then put one layer of potato slices and then one layer of onion.
- Sprinkle a little salt, some garlic and then grind some pepper.
- Repeat until a potato layer is the final layer.
- In a pan, heat the oat cream, milk with the bay leaf and nutmeg added.
- Stir frequently until it comes to the boil. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce if you wish.
- Take the bay leaf out.
- Pour over the potato and onion.
- If you wish, sprinkle with pinch of thyme.
- Cover with foil and put into the oven.
- Cook for ¾ -1 hour with foil on.
- Take foil off and cook for 20-25 minutes.
Maybe serve with...
Green beans and vegetables if using as a main dish, or team with something like the pepper paprikash or mushroom provençal if serving as side dish.
If you have potatoes left, see the potato wedges, the mashed potato and the rosemary roast potatoes. If you have rice milk leftover, see the banana smoothie, the rice pudding and the hot chocolate.
Copyright ©2005-2011 Dame Fandango Healthy Vegan Recipes
Fit for schools - offering a brilliant range of holistic health and fitness sessions which are suitable for Primary and Secondary aged children
Other interesting vegan cookery books that we know and love